CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 24, 2007

Humbled in my wheelchair

School has been crazy busy. I forgot how hard school is and being a junior/senior is even harder. I have been reading a ton and still am not caught up. I am loving it up here in Rexburg though. I've been trying to cook more and it's easy because I've been cooking for my brother and roommate so it's lots more fun that way. I am in a class called Exceptional Students. It's about students with disabilities. We discuss mental, emotional, and physical disabilities. My assignment for today is to be in a wheelchair for four hours. I scheduled them when I wasn't in class because I thought it would be easier. That part was easier because I haven't been trying to rush from class to class, but by no means is this easy. There were some requirements of things that we had to do. We had to go up and down a hill, open a door with the wheelchair button, open a door without one, go to the drinking fountain, and go into a bathroom stall and get yourself from the wheelchair to the toilet and back. I cannot explain to you how difficult these tasks were. I decided to kill two birds with one stone and open the bathroom door and then just go into the bathroom. I came around from the corner and opened the door, but then I couldn't get the wheelchair in because of the angle I was at. A girl came and held the door for me, but it still took a few minutes to get through the door. I finally decided to call my brother. I needed help. He was on campus and came and found me and helped me get to the library, where I am now. As he pushed me into the library I couldn't believe the stares of people. It is a very humbling experience. I only have a little over an hour left and then this experience will be over. It has definitely taught me a lot and I wish that everyone could have this experience. It's hard to look for ramps since you can't use stairs, it's hard to get in doors, but it's even harder to take the stares of others. They could be concerned or curious, I know I always am, but that doesn't make it any easier. As I was pushing myself up the hill a guy walked right by. I am sure he was in a hurry, but it was hard to watch him walk to class, when I was struggling to push myself there. Soon after a girl asked if she could push me up the hill. Of course I said yes and we had a nice conversation. I am sure she isn't aware of how much that meant to me. I think today will definitely change my perspective on how I look at and help others who are probably struggling. Maybe it will change yours too.

5 comments:

Chandie said...

Wow Jessie ~ what an awesome, and difficult experience. Thank you so much for sharing it, it really makes you appreciative, and more aware. I'll be sure to help someone I see next time :) You are awesome. Love ya!
-Chandie

Carrie said...

I would have never thought to help push someone in a wheelchair! Thanks for helping us be more aware of those that may need some help. I bet that was a cool thing for you to do though, one you will never forget!

pamelasue said...

Nice! Those kind of experiences are good for everyone if they open the eyes of others. I know I have walked by someone and not helped because I wasn't sure they wanted it. This will make me at least ask and find out. Thanks. Loves!

Latu said...

I was like Pam. I was sure that they would not like help. Now I want to go find someone in a wheelchair just to see if they'd like some help! That's one of those lessons you'll never forget!

BTW....TAG!! You're it! Go to my blog to find out what you need to do!

Chandie said...

Hi Jessie, time to update your blog :) hehehe
Tag, you're it.... check out my blog for details :)